Friday 17 May 2013

Lavender bags and "All Aboard"

The last few days I've been busy, cold (our house is perpetually in the shade and as a consequence can feel like subarctic conditions inside while it's t-shirt weather outside) and lacking momentum.

I hate the following things:
Mice. (I live in Hull, they're inevitable) 
Humidity.
Hay fever.
Canola. (Or rapeseed for those of you not in the know) 


Ranting and crusty blindness aside I've not been sat on my backside doing nothing, it kinda feels like I have but I've not. I organised my card making stuff, made some lavender bags and found some inspiration for my "All Aboard" Goody bag.



First project! Lavender bags!

Shopping list:

Purple fabric
Good scissors 
Ribbon
Lace
A sewing machine 
Stuffing (I used stuffing from cheap pillows) 
Dried Lavender 
Buttons


I made two styles, drawstring and danglers (I'm sure there is a technical term) using an old curtain and some lace and ribbon I've had in my stash for about a decade. I, like the total idiot I am didn't measure anything, or take photos as I went along. I just watched 24 Hours in A&E and worked away. I'm sure that there are oodles of tutorials on the Internet that are actually useful. 



Tonight's project: "All Aboard" 

Shopping list: 

DoCrafts Goody bag GDY0313
All Aboard twine and self adhesive reels 
Brown Kraft card blanks (5x7) 
Spellbinders Classic Postage Stamp Edgeabilities 
Dark Blue/navy grosgrain ribbon
More adhesives than I can be bothered mentioning
Red, pale teal, dark blue card for mating and layering (I used Create and Craft Topsy Turvy) 
Small circle die (I used an xcut one, roughly 2/3 of an inch?) 
10mm corner rounder

Note I also use the cover page of the 6x6. You will need that. 


Of course the Christmas tree is still there... To start with I took the card blank and trimmed a strip just over an inch wide from the front to use as envelope embellishments (just cut into roughly envelopy type proportions and draw flaps on) then I took the front page from the pad and trimmed it to just be the image sample section. I matted this up on red card and wrapped ribbon and twine around it (the bow is actually a separate piece tied around which enables the bow to be slid along the length of the twine) I stacked the mini envelopes with 1mm foam pads and tied some more twine around them, placed them as shown and slightly trimmed one of the ticket toppers and placed it inside as an insert.




This one is a bit trickier, or at least it looks it. The only hard part is cutting the strips then die-cutting them so they all come out the same thickness. Three strips from a 6x6 will be enough, just score in the centres of the flat sections and the dips in or if you don't have this die 1.5inch strips scored every 1/4 inch. Fix pieces together appropriately with super sticky tape and cut a small circle from the passport stamp section of the cover piece before mounting on a piece of card to stabilise and stick it in the front. The rest is pretty straight forward. Dimensions are all a bit rough and I didn't write them down and I can't find my ruler... Also it's 11pm and I'm sleepy...


To begin with I used some of the world map decorative tape on the card blank and seen on the front and down the inside. The only hard part of this was trimming the topper down without ruining it so it would still fit inside the envelope... I matted it up after using a corner rounder on some red card before layering it up as shown... I really am bad at talking about the cards I make...


Tomorrow I'm hoping to whip out my Boofle card kits and have some fun. Not that I didn't have fun making these, I just lacked initial inertia... 

Anyway tomorrow is a new day, new projects await me. 

Crafty hugs!  


No comments:

Post a Comment